One of the easiest ways to learn new things as a solopreneur who works at home is by reading or listening to books. How awesome would it be to reward yourself for finishing a project early by curling up with a great book?
More likely though, if you are like me, you download your books on Audible and listen while you do other things.
I love that Audible tells you how long the book is. Starting a 5hr to 7hr book (at 1.5 speed) on a Monday means the possibility of finishing a book in one to two weeks while exercising or walking in my neighborhood. And if the book is really good I don’t even realize I’ve exercised. It’s a win-win!
But the best part about listening to books is the ability to expand your business knowledge. Being your own boss is a constant learning curve.
I recently updated this list in my post Books Every Girl Boss Should Read. A couple recommendations are the same but I expanded the list to include my favorite mindset and money mindset books.
The best way to prepare for the unknowns is to keep learning.
7 Great Books for Solopreneurs
I keep a running list of business-related books I want to read in Trello. I collect book ideas from podcasts, Facebook Groups, colleague, friends and even by overhearing conversations at my local coffee shop. After I hear a book mentioned a few times I move it up on the list.
1. Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen. This is one of those books that seems like it I hear it talked about everywhere I go. After listening to it I understand why! I recommend buying the paper version of this book. I listened to it on Audible and will also be buying the hard copy so I can highlight the parts that are most meaningful to my business.
2. Profit First. I have always been a believer in paying yourself and having multiple savings accounts. After listening to this book I recommend it to every new soloprenuer I meet. You can read my Profit First review here.
3. Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are so You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be . Business books don’t always have to be about business theories. The buzz about this book was HUGE and completely right. I enjoyed this book so much that I’ve re-listened to one chapter multiple times.
4. The 5 Second Rule: Transform your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve heard people say this book has changed their morning routine for the better. I’m ready to give her countdown method a try!
5. The 12 Week Year: Get More Done in 12 Weeks than Others Do in 12 Months. One of my businesses goals for 2019 was to plan goals in quarters vs months. Listening to the 12 week year made moving to a quarterly goal planning system effortless. I highly recommend this book if you want to get better at setting and achieving goals. (You can read more about my monthly goal setting process here)
6. Business Boutique: A Woman’s Guide for Making Money Doing What She Loves. I bought this book at the recommendation of a friend who has her own business and who is also Dave Ramsey fan. For some reason, I ordered the paper version instead of Audible so it’s been staring at me for a while. When I can make time to open a paper book this one is up first.
7. Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap and Others Don’t. I have a love-hate relationship with this book. I started it many years ago and have picked it up and put it down over and over. It seems almost every time I ask a super successful entrepreneur for a book recommendation they recommend this one. So it’s on the list as a must finish for me and a must read for you.
Expanding your knowledge base is key when you are your own boss. Managing the freedom and flexibility that comes with a work from home lifestyle is critical.
Listening to business books on Audible lets you learn new businesses skill and theories while you multi-task.
What books are on your must read list?