When the first cool weather snap arrives my daughter and I love to toast the changing seasons with a cozy cup of hot chocolate while snuggling on the couch after school. We make this easy homemade hot cocoa recipe using the microwave.
If you’ve wanted to make your kids hot chocolate that’s not from a packet this is the best hot cocoa recipe.
With just four ingredients this microwave hot chocolate is ready in just minutes!
This easy hot chocolate recipe is great for making with kids.
Easy Homemade Hot Cocoa Recipe
This hot cocoa recipe is pretty common. I’m not sure when I first learned to make this simple recipe.
After you make it once you’ll wonder why you’ve been buying hot chocolate packets all this time!
To make this easy homemade hot cocoa recipe grab a couple ingredients from the pantry and fridge.
1. First you’ll need:
- Cocoa Powder
- Granulated Sugar (of your choice)
- Milk (of your choice – almond milk works too!)
- Vanilla Extract (or peppermint extract)
Then grab a 2 Cup Pyrex measuring glass cup or another microwave safe large cup and a teaspoon measuring spoon.
I use our Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear in the microwave all the time!
Glass is perfect because it can go from the microwave to the dishwasher and you don’t have to worry about anything melting.
2. Second add 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder to the measuring cup.
3. Third add 1 cup of milk but only add a little bit at first. Make a paste – like a roux – before adding the rest of the milk.
And this is why I love using a glass measuring cup.
The 2 teaspoons of sugar plus the 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder equals 1/4 cup.
After making a paste with a little milk I pour the rest of the milk in up to the 1 1/4 cup line.
Easy peasy and one less measuring cup to wash.
And a great measuring lessons for kids!
5. The fifth step is to put the cocoa, sugar and milk mixture into the microwave for 1 minute.
Stir and put it back in for an additional 30 seconds if its not warm enough.
6. The sixth and final step to to add a dash or two of vanilla extract or peppermint extract stir pour into a mug and enjoy!
Top with marshmallows or shaved chocolate and snuggle up with your warm mug of homemade hot cocoa made in your microwave.
How Long Do You Heat Up Hot Chocolate in the Microwave?
Everyone’s microwave varies.
My microwave takes 90 seconds to heat up hot chocolate in the microwave.
But just to be on the safe side I always set it for one minute, stir and then add another 30 seconds.
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar (of your choice)
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa Power
- 1 Cup Milk (of your choice)
- 1 Splash of Vanilla Extract
- Mix the sugar and cocoa power together in a microwave save cup or bowel.
- Add a couple splashes of milk and make a paste.
- Add the rest of the cup of milk and stir.
- Microwave on High for 1 minute. Stir and add another 30 seconds if its not hot enough.
- Pour carefully into mugs, add marshmallows if you have them and enjoy!
I've tried this with almond milk and monk fruit sugar and they both worked find. You can cut the recipe and half and experiment with the sugar and milk of your choice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.